Tuesday 23 August 2016

14) A Gun at My Face

I didn't see this coming. I didn't expect to be shackled to a metal gate, wrists and ankles fastened, while a bunch of crazies run around me in circles waving guns at my face and shouting obscenities.

The way they dress, very much like the others who tried to attack me. Leather gear, and bits of armour here and there. I hope it is leather, not some other kind of skin... There are two females I think, and three males. Even if somehow I manage to escape, I couldn't hope to deal with so many, and besides, my stash is too far away from me.

My mind is a maze of riddles, and I cannot find the way out. Should I try talking to them? Should I just succumb and accept my fate, as dinner?

One of the females comes close to me, her face almost touching mine. She is pretty, except the pink spray on her hair looks odd. Her breath is foul though, some kind of stench which reminds me of before, the others, that same rotting flesh kind of smell, but it's in her mouth. Hateful.

'Who are you? What are you doing?' I shout out. My voice echoes around the chamber, it sounds like I am in a great cathedral, but even though this could be an analogy for one, now it would just be a tomb.

The others stop dead in what they are doing. Perhaps they don't believe that I can talk. The biggest of them, a hulking brute in all sorts of odd clothing, bits of cloth, leather, metal, his hair wild streaks of colour and very long, he walks slowly over to me. In his hand is a shiny metallic object, and as he moves closer I can see it's a cleaver. It is covered in dried blood.

'Wut, di ya say.' The man asks me. He almost drools as he does so. I can barely make out what he is asking, he sounds child like. I guess education died a long time ago.

'Why am I tied up like this?' I shout loudly. Their eyes widen. They don't seem to appreciate my words.

'Sssshhhh.' One of the females says, holding her finger to her lips.

'Why? Let me down!' I scream. Why not? It's not as if I hurt their feelings they might free me.

'Cos, dey will ear yaz.' The other female says.

'Who is dey?' I mimic sarcastically.

They look concerned now. I hear more noises from the tunnels, scrambling noises. This group of savages appears disturbed, excitable.

Suddenly something strange jumps out from near the stairs, it scurries, human like but still on all fours. In the torchlight it is hard to make out just what is going on, but I think it is the same burned out skeletal like creature like before. It leaps almost twenty feet, amazing!

It lands on the back of the biggest man, and he grabs at it, as he does the cremated flesh on its back slides off and the creature cries out. the man slams the thing hard to the floor and I can hear the cracking of bones and a squelching noise. It lies still, broken, dead.

The group stop, looking at each other, breathing heavily. I wonder how long before their attention turns back to me.

Then it begins, the insanity, dozens of those skeletal things leap out from the shadows, clawing and biting at the group. I wonder, any moment, will I be a victim, but then since I woke when haven't I been a victim?

They fight back, knives and blades slashing around. The creatures are weak, but fast. If a blade hits, they slice open easily, but don't go down, going back again and again, slashing and biting. There are too many of them, the group overwhelmed.

Silence falls, and the group is dead.

Now, one of the creatures, its skin a green tint to it, almost as if it is glowing, it sidles up to me. It eyes me closely, like a specimen in a jar. Its head turns and moves, looking at me closely, the others in its pack, watching, studying.

I can feel the imagined pain that is coming, as it surges through me relentlessly; but it doesn't come. I close my eyes tightly, wishing it were over quickly, but all I hear is the soft patter of feet, the sound growing quieter.

Finally I open my eyes. I am alone, except for the savage dead, laying around me. They will surely never dance again.

Now, my moment, to be free, once again on my way, to where I have no idea. First though, how on Earth am I going to disentangle myself from this fence?

No comments:

Post a Comment