Monday 17 October 2016

28) Regrets and Hopes.

I never thought I would feel so full again. I could have eaten more, but Judy insisted I didn't. Not because we might run out, but because eating so much after being so hungry could make us sick.

I still find it hard to believe people trade with bottle caps. I guess they need something to act as a middle man. The best thing is food and water are pretty cheap, a few caps gets quite a lot to show for it.

We picked up two large bags of caps from our raid, five hundred and sixty caps. We were laughing at how much we had, and that we were rich.

Last night was good. I nice warm fire, decent food, water and even the weather at night was pleasant. I fell asleep next to Judy, and it felt good. It wasn't so good that when I woke up she was gone, but I understand; she's been through a lot, and it's affected her deeply. At least she had the kindness to put a blanket over me, but I think it was her only one, and that meant she did without. I will make amends today.

Once again as I step out the camp is a hive of activity. White smoke pours out of various shacks, and people mill around. The smell of food is rich and varied, and reminds me of what is to come for us this morning.

Almost drooling with anticipation, I go walk around to Judy's shack. I reckon we should go buy some new food supplies, a top up for the water, and then work out what we're going to invest in for more success.

Since I awoke into this strange land, I have had some shocks and surprises, enough to last me a lifetime. What confronts me now, shocks me more than anything I have ever felt before. Judy's shack is empty. No bags, no supplies, and of course not even her.

I wonder for a moment if she might have gone to get us some food in advance, but if so why has she taken all the bags? All that is left here is the saw and the axe that we used. The guns are gone, except mine, which I noticed in my shack when coming out but the majority of the ammo is not here, and neither is any of the food, or... the caps! Gone.

I can only think the best of her, because it is all I have seen. I immediately run out, make my way around the camp.

'Judy!' I call, wondering frantically that something bad might have happened to her.

I approach the main gate, see two guards standing. One of them is from last night, the sarcastic one. 'Have you seen the woman I was with? I ask.

They both laugh at me. 'Yeah, Judy.' One of them says, looking at me slyly.

'Yes!' I say quickly. 'Where is she, is she alright, has something bad happened to her?'

As I ask this, the two of them both laugh in unison. 'Oh, no.' Says the sly one. 'Quite the opposite.' The other one says. He appears mean, stubbly face, good with a gun, not the kind to argue with.

'Stop fooling around, just tell me.' I demand, knowing I am pushing my luck.

'She took her things and left, just as dawn was coming up.' The mean one explains.

'Left?' I ask incredulously. 'She took all of our stuff, and all our caps.' I say.

They both look at me, serious now.

'Stolen you say?' The mean one asks.

'Theft eh?' The other chimes in.

I nod. She has gone, surely not to the town, but just gone. I cannot believe someone who appeared so happy around me, could just up and leave, and worst of all, take everything. She could have just take half, I mean...

'She's banned from the camp if this is true. If she returns she will be shot on sight.' The mean one insists. It doesn't help me much. Once again I am back to square one. Worse, I wonder if I can ever trust anyone again.

I am a survivor. I simply accept what has happened and move on.

I walk to my shack, pick up the axe, sling the rifle over my shoulder, and note that I have around forty rounds of ammo for it. At least she left me those.

My head is swirling with it all, the loss of what we had achieved. If I ever meet her again, I don't know if I will shoot her or talk to her. I accept I may never know, and just put it to the back of my mind.

For now, I need water, and to get water I need to chop wood. So once again, only this time alone, off I go.

As I walk out, a small child stands near to one of the other places with people in, she is holding what appears to be a metal cup, filled with purified water, drinking from it occasionally.

'Hi.' She says as I walk past. My mind is like thunder, and I give her a dirty look, before walking on.

On I go to cut wood again.

*

It has been a long, horrible day. All the time I argued within myself, recriminations against Judy, for stealing it all, and against myself for being so stupid. I slogged away and cut wood and dragged it into camp, traded it for little drink and bits of food. then repeated it. I doubt I have ever worked so hard. I feel shattered, but I have enough food to last me at least a couple of weeks if I ration it, and enough water to survive even longer.

I shall sleep tonight, if my mind allows it, and first thing tomorrow I will go back to that town, and do so every day until I have enough caps, water, food, guns and ammo that no one will ever think to steal from me again.

Someone or something is going to regret crossing me, that much is for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment