Tuesday 22 November 2016

37) A Great Plan of Action

The woman offers up her hand, and I can see she is weak, at least physically. Mentally she is very much alive and aware, her eyes shining brightly like pearls in the sun.

'I believe my name is Macready.' I say, taking a gentle hold of her hand and shaking it. A small child looks up at me. She is sat on a wooden box, wearing rags, her face dirty with soil. She looks confused by our greeting.

Another woman steps out from the wooden building, sees myself, Steve and Melissa and slinks back inside, peering through a gap. Others look on at us, wary of our presence.

The old woman looks down at the child, smiling easily. 'This is how people used to greet a stranger. Back in the days before so many went either hungry or crazy.'

The little girl turns and runs away, bringing with it laughter from the old woman.

She looks back at me. 'I'm known around here as Ma Guinness, though lately its more of the Old Ma Guinness.' She continues, laughing more than ever. She is a cheerful, fun character, and I can see why people might follow her. She has a strange strength about her, an aura she gives off which lends itself to a feeling of tranquility, simply by being with her.

'Yeah, trouble is coming all right. I know that, because since I woke from the vaults many moons ago, that's all there seems to be. Trouble.'

My eyes light up, and she can see the intrigue in me.

'What catches your eye, stranger?' The woman asks me. She doesn't miss a trick.

'You're from the vault?' I ask, sounding more excited than I had intended.

She smiles. 'Yeah, one of them at least, a long way from here. Woke up from a Cryochamber, a long long time ago. Me and two others, went out looking to see what had come of the world, and found it virtually dead.'

'Do you know why we were in these vaults? I cannot recall anything?' I ask, sounding pitiful.

The old woman can see my angst. 'Sorry fella, but I never had any memories either, wiped clean. We went out searching, found only endless death, and the two I was with, one hanged himself, the other got taken away by Mutants, yellow skin creatures. I managed to get away that time, wandered for weeks, all but dead myself when I stumbled on this place. Back then there was only two shacks and a small fence. Still, old man Farcey brought me in, helped me, and together we brought in strays from all over. This is what has become of the place now.'

I cannot hide my disappointment.

'There is a mass infestation of creatures, spiders, bugs of all types, seem to like the taste of meat, and will likely head this way. We need to prepare for them, to fight against them, together.' I say, anger within becoming my strength.

That smile again from the old lady. Now a crowd of people has gathered around us, listening. I can see the fear in their eyes. Even some of the traders are here now, wondering what to do.

'I'm too old for such battles, past the stage where I can be of any use.' The old woman says, as the crowd cries no, pleads with her to help, insists only she can save them.

She shakes her head. 'No, my time is done, I will watch from afar as you people are guided by a new leader, someone who has a good heart, and a clever mind.' She says, before placing her hand on my shoulder.

'Son, you may no know it, but you are special, and you have what it takes to see this place and its good people survives.' She says, as they all turn to look to me.

'How can I help? I have been running from one fight to the next, a never ending series of near death experiences.' I cry, at a loss as to what I can possibly accomplish.

'Word has it you survived those misbegotten Ghouls, some of the Mutants, Slavers, Cannibals, Raiders, and even avoided a knife in the back from someone you thought to care about. You're not running away, you're fighting...and winning.' She says, for the first time making me realize... I am a survivor.

'I hadn't thought of it before, not like that.' I say.

'Mister, what can we do, can you help us?' A woman cries out. It is the woman peering out from the shack, more afraid of what might be than anything I might do.'

Fate has a funny way of thrusting us into places in life we never expected, or intended. I understand that now.

I look up at the crowd now, realizing it is likely the whole camp, watching, listening, waiting for me.

I nod quickly, looking down, thinking, then back up at the old woman, and she can see my mind is made up.

'We need shovels, lots of them, and anything that will burn. Get me something flammable, we're gonna have a party.' I shout, at which the entire camp cheers, and breaks out into wild activity.

The old woman looks at me, that same curious expression, as if she has been waiting for this moment all her life...

No comments:

Post a Comment