Monday 12 December 2016

38) The Endeth Approaches

I know we don't have long. I don't understand how I know, but my instincts so far have been pretty keen. I just know within a very short time, this infestation of these horrible creatures, a mass of flesh eating spiders and all sorts of bugs will be upon us, and then we must be ready.

I run to one of the trader stalls at the front of the camp. He looks at me bewildered, but I point to his stockpiles of wood and oil.

'That, we'll need all of that, outside front, ready...' I shout. The man looks at me startled, then horrified, before pulling out a gun from his waist. Others around me react, pulling out guns, sticks, knives, some running away or hiding.

There is no time for games. I walk up to him, ignoring the gun pointed at my midriff.

'You do realize we are about to be attacked, and what by?' I shouted.

The man continues to look at me, then at the others.

'But.. but, this is all I have.' He says.

'Well if these things attack us and we aren't ready to defend, this stuff will still be here, but you won't, and neither will your customers!' I say, quieter now. I look at him, unblinking. Common sense stuff, I just hope he has some.

He looks deflated. I can see he is resigned to it. I look back and everyone knows. They go in quickly, grabbing barrels full of oil and stacks of wood.

'Carry it all out of the gate.' I shout, before running through ahead of them. Another group, having gathered shovels and spades stand looking toward me. I would have thought it self explanatory, but I guess some people need things pointing out. Maybe that is what has become of the world, just a lack of the ability to think, to plan and create, which is why so much anger, hatred, betrayal and theft, because it is the only way they know now.

'Dig, damn it!' I shout, and immediately dozens of people, men, women and children grab the shovels and digging tools and begin. I can see the confusion on their faces, what to do. I have to lead the sheep...

'A trench, about this far from the fence.' I say, pacing away, sliding a line in the dirt not to dig any closer. 'Dig here, all along, deep down, lower than a man's waist.' I shout.

I could say feet and inches, or some other measurement, but I think of such things few would understand.

'Dig, for your lives.' I shout, grabbing a shovel and joining in.

The work continues quickly, I can sense the fear within them. Frequently I stop and look over the crest of the hill beyond. Others do too, we know it is coming.

'I stand and look up, pointing to several women. 'You, go grab wooden torches, soak them in this oil, be ready with them.' I call. Without hesitation they run.

Within minutes the trench begins to take shape with so many bodies joining in. I climb out and look around. The trench isn't so deep, but it will have to do. It stretches around the sides of the camp, but not enough.

It will have to do, because I can hear the scratching sounds, the writhing mass as something vile approaches. Time is short, perhaps the end is near now...

No comments:

Post a Comment