Tuesday 13 December 2016

39) The battle rages.

'Everyone out of the trenches!' I shout as loud as I possibly can. Eyes up, people look at me expectantly, full of hope, but when they see the expression on my face, panic sets in.

'Everyone out, grab the wood, spread it into the trench! Hurry!' I scream, trying to demand they do so quickly, before we are overwhelmed.

The entire camp scrambles now, but I can feel the fear, the tension. If I do not act, they will react out of their fear.

'You cannot run from this, there is nowhere to run, and they will not stop til they consume us. There is only one way- to fight!' I scream again, raging my fist high in the air.

Panic erupts, but they still work, knowing it is that or death. I have them now, they will stay and fight, mostly.

'Throw the wood into the trenches, now!' I shout, not waiting for their response. I grab great logs, well finished planks, furniture, anything, in it goes, spreading around across the trench as far as it will go.

They take my lead, grabbing maniacally at the mass of wood, dropping it in, frenzied.

'Oil, pour the oil onto it, light it up!' I shout. The mass is upon us, at the edge of the trench. A man runs, sheer terror on his face, unable to prevent himself. One or two others follow, a woman and another more elderly man.

'Fight on!' I shout, raging at the cowards.

Many stay, grabbing barrels, tipping them over, pouring oil across the trench, down the slope, across the wood.

The insects are in the trench now. I see a woman kneeling to the ground, holding her two children, protecting them a moment longer.

'Light it up, light it up!' I shout, feeling an inescapable panic inside myself.

Torches flare up around us, as shaking hands struggle to ignite the kindling. I am thankful it is so dry. If it were raining, we would all be dead.

People throw the torches in, and step back, sticks at the ready, guns raised for all the good they will do.

The fire erupts into an inferno, as the oil rages, like my spirit, high into the sky. Wood crackles and burns, spreading along, and I see the cauldron of insects and spiders on the opposite side. Will they wait for it to diminish to come for us? Will they move around? How intelligent are they?

We can only wait, and hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment