Wednesday 7 September 2016

16) Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The gunfire echoes around the subway walls, reverberating harshly. It pings around like a bullet spattering against metal.

For moments I expect the kickback, to fall away as it eats into me, tearing my skin and sending blood down across the way. There is none. I feel nothing.

Am I dead? Is this why I cannot feel anything? For seconds my mind screams at me, and my eyes are blurred, trying to make sense of this new reality.

I hear a thud behind me, and something scatters away down the tunnel. My skin is icy cold, and my eyes wide, as if I could stare into space if I looked hard enough.

'You're either very cool, or very stupid, stranger.' The gravelly voice calls out. This brings me back to my senses, my vision clears and the words entering my mind begin to make sense.

I can see the man before me now, still holding the gun, pointed at my way. He hasn't shot me, I feel no wound, and I look around myself, ensuring my feet remain planted firmly in the same spot. It is still quite dark, though where he has opened his door, lights spills out like water down a runoff. There is something slumped behind me, wearing the same torn clothing as the creatures before, a skeletal like figure, prone, like a baby, sleeping; only this isn't sleeping, it's dead.

I turn back and look at the man. He has a wry smile on what is left of his decaying face.

'Why.. why did you shoot that, I mean...' I know what I want to say, but fear to do so in case he lets loose another shot, only this time at me.

'You mean why did I shoot that, when it looks just like me?' The gravelly voice asks, sarcasm evident. I don't answer, still wary of any man holding a gun at me. He know it's what I'm thinking.

'OK, so we look a bit alike, but at least I still have my mind. For now.' The gravelly voiced man says. He lowers his gun, and returns it to a waist holster. I allow myself to breath again.

'Who are you? What is going on here?' I ask.

'Wow, where have you been? Locked up in a cave for a long time?' He asks, laughing. His sarcasm remains, as much as his curiosity.

'Something like that.' I answer. I become aware that I am stood in this subway, surrounded by danger, before some half man half creature, and he is the one asking the questions. Ironic given I have so few answers.

A high pitched cry rings out back down in where I travelled from. I feel a shiver course down my spine.

We look at each other, and I wonder if he will simply return to his place and close the door on me. I look in his eyes, and I can tell it's what he is thinking, wondering whether to trust me or not. I can't blame him.

'I came out of some kind of vault a few days ago, I have little memory of who I am or where I am from, and this whole place seems like something straight out of a nightmare to me!' I said. I hadn't intended to plead, but the truth is I am weary, and hungry, and I know if this man doesn't let me in, I will likely die very shortly.

The stranger sighs deeply. He stands back and shrugs his shoulders. He waves me in. As I walk towards the door I can hear something running, coming this way, many of them.

'OK, in you go, and first sign of trouble from you, you're dead.'

Between the devil and the deep blue sea. I move into the light inside quickly, ignoring the scraping sounds as they chase down the hall towards us. A small act of kindness, but to me in this world it is the first I have known, and I shall not forget it in a hurry.

The stranger pulls on the door, swinging it quickly closed and it slams with a loud bang. I can hear thudding on the other side, and after a few seconds the noise becomes incessant, terrible. I can only imagine what they are like, what they intend to do.

I walk in, and am amazed and surprised at what I find...

No comments:

Post a Comment