Monday 26 September 2016

22) Alone In A Barren World.

The heat has become unbearable. I just want to run and dip in the flowing river nearby. It seems so cool and pleasant. It looks generally clear, apart from occasional bits of muddy colours washing past. It looks like rust, but I am assured that it isn't. I stand on the edge of the waters, looking in, but repeatedly I am told it is affected by radiation, and if I go in long enough it can affect my health. I can't even drink it, and even boiling it won't clear the problem. It has to be purified water, from a clean source, and sellers of this in the camp refuse to divulge where it comes from. If I knew, I would no doubt trade it myself!

We have been out here for hours, hacking in turn at the wood. Both of us are so fatigued, we can't last long before growing out of breath, and our muscles ache to the point of feeling faint.

'So, how much wood do we have to gather, for trade, and what is it worth?' I ask.

'We cut down two large trees, around fifty feet high, cut all the branches clean, and assemble into logs of varying lengths. The main trunks can either be used for building or trade, and the smaller pieces for firewood. The larger pieces will get us enough food for perhaps two to three days, if we share and eat sparingly.' Judy replies.

I admit, I am shocked. The look on my face is enough for that. I wonder what of older or sick people; how would they cope, but I don't think I can deal with the answer, so don't give voice to my thoughts.

'Smaller pieces, firewood, we might get enough to fill a leather sack with water, about the size of your hand. No more.'

I just shake my head. the world has always been a tough place to survive, for people with little to offer or support themselves with. Still, maybe it's just me but it seems near impossible. No safety net, no government, nothing. We truly are alone.

I just look at Judy, and can see from the expression on her face, she understands how I feel. She clearly feels the same, but of course we are in no position to do anything about it.

'This is the only place I know around here. Since I got here, I've been gathering like this to live. I haven't wandered far for fear of slavers catching me again, or worse.'

This again shocks me. 'Worse? What could possibly be worse?'

'I guess if you go wandering, you might find out. I doubt you'll like what you find.'

I leave it at that, but I know deep down I won't be living like this for the rest of my life.

I pick up a few of the larger logs, as many as I can carry. Judy grabs a decent pile of the smaller ones, and together we head back through the gate.

As we clear the entrance, Judy points towards an area of the camp, quite separate from the rest. It appears a hive of activity, tables, booths and areas which are clearly trade. The people sitting behind, the sellers, most look a poor bunch, greasy, dirty people. I can see from the looks on their faces they care only about profit, and nothing for humanity. This camp stinks.

The largest part of the trade area is dedicated to wood trades. It has to be, because most people here are offering wood. We go towards that, and join what seems an endless queue.

'Can't we pile our wood up and go back to get the rest?' I ask. Judy shakes her head.

'If we leave anything here unguarded someone will take it. If it's not in your home, or around it, then its considered free take.

'Typical.' I say. It doesn't surprise me.

'I'll leave these small logs here. You shuffle our stash along as the queue moves, and I'll go back and forth to get what we've cut. OK' Judy suggests. It seems a good idea.

'OK, don't carry too much, and be careful, right now you're the only friend I have.'

Judy smiles, and turns to walk off. I like her, she is a good person. I'm lucky to have found someone to connect with.

As the queue winds down, and I approach the trade center for wood, I can see it is very busy. Workers are using some odd form of cattle, decrepit and bony animals, like cows, but discoloured compared to what I recall, to move large quantities of wood and bits. There are machine noises going on at the back, and as I lean around I can see they have something to cut it. It seems they are cutting it up into planks, and other objects. Very useful.

Finally, after what seems another age, and just in time for Judy to return with another load we are at the front. A very fat man, bald and sweating profusely looks up at me.

'What for tender?' He grunts, spittle dripping from his mouth. Disgusting.

I don't know what to reply, and hesitate, but Judy doesn't.

'Prime Oak, five large lengths, fifteen smaller lengths, branches.' She says eagerly.

The fat man pushes hard against his straining seat and stands. His eyes give the best rendition they can of interest. He surveys our stash, and seems to like what he sees.

'Two canteens of water, three days full food, and your pick of the tools, third grade only.' He says.

I look at Judy. It seems a decent deal for now. Judy is clearly trying to restrain herself. She nods, smiling briefly. Some more of their workers come plodding out, grabbing hold of the wood. I react quickly, putting my hand on the pile before it can be lifted.

'Goods first.' I say, staring at the fat man. He waits, staring back and all around us go quiet, except for the cutting beyond. Finally he breaks down into a weak smile, before reaching under his table. He drops three sacks onto the top, two with food, one with water. I can almost hear that clean lovely fresh water sloshing around.

Before I can ask where the tools are, the man drops a pack of them roughly on the table. they are certainly worn, no weapons, and mostly rusty.

'Quickly, we have others waiting to trade.' He says impatiently.

None of it looks particularly good, but then... I spot what appears to be the metal part of a saw, no handle. I know I have the ability to fix it. I take a quick hold of it and nod. Judy looks at me, surprised and unsure.

'It's good, trust me.' I say, and she nods back. We gather our things, and walk quickly back to our place.

As we stand beside what could be classed as homes, Judy looks at me. I can see what she is thinking; will I just go inside with it all, and leave her without? If I did, there appears to be no rule against it, and little she could do about it. I look at her, and then hand my bags to her.

'Here, you go prepare as best you can a ration of food and water for each of us. Once we've eaten, we're going to go back out, do some more work, and I'll show you what we can do with this new tool of ours.'

Judy breaks out into a huge smile. She seems pleased to know she can trust me. Trust, the hardest thing in life to find, and here we both are, like discovering gold or gems, we have it together...


No comments:

Post a Comment